Mac users can now update to OS X 10.8.4. The software update includes a new version of Safari versioned as 6.0.5, but otherwise focuses primarily on bug fixes.
The most notable bug resolution resolves the problem for when iMessages displayed some messages out of order of when they were sent and received, which has been a substantial complaint for many Mac users who use the messaging service to communicate. Other significant improvements pertain to Wi-Fi networking, an improvement for Microsoft Exchange interacting with Calendar app, a fix to allow FaceTime calls to certain foreign phone numbers, a resolution to a scheduled sleep issue for Boot Camp users, and improved VoiceOver support with PDF files. There are many other networking improvements and bug resolutions included in the 10.8.4 update, and a complete list of those changes can be found in the full release notes printed below.
Update to OS X 10.8.4
The simplest way to update to OS X 10.8.4 is by going to the Apple menu then visiting Software Update. The update is available in the Mac App Store under the “Updates” tab.
Though it’s rare that something may happen during the update, it’s always a good idea to initiate a backup with Time Machine before beginning any OS update.
Combo updates are also available from Apple as separate downloads for users who would rather update their OS X installations manually, or who need to perform a group of upgrades on multiple Macs. The primary OS X 10.8.4 Combo Update is 343MB and can be downloaded from here.
OS X 10.8.4 Release Notes
These are the full release notes for the 10.8.4 update to Mountain Lion:
The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 Update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
- Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks
- Microsoft Exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar
- A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers
- A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp
- Improves VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents
- Includes Safari 6.0.5, which improves stability for some websites with chat features and games
- A fix for an issue that may cause iMessages to display out of order in Messages
- Resolves an issue in which Calendars Birthdays may appear incorrectly in certain time zones
- A fix for an issue that may prevent the desktop background picture from being preserved after restart
- A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB
- Addresses an issue that may prevent certain files from opening after copied to a volume named “Home”
- A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying
- Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications
- Improves Active Directory log-in performance, especially for cached accounts or when using a .local domain
- Improves OpenDirectory data replication
- Improves 802.1X compatibility with ActiveDirectory networks
- Improves compatibility when using mobile accounts
This post will be updated if anything interesting or new is found within OS X 10.8.4.