Apple has announced the iPhone 5s, the new upper-end iPhone model that comes with some pretty interesting features.Though the iPhone 5s is based upon the same aluminum enclosure as the prior iPhone 5 model, it is now offered in two revised color options including a new black (called space grey), the familiar white, and an entirely new gold color.
These colors are obviously much more subdued than what is offered on the new vibrant iPhone 5c model, and the 5s is also a much more feature-rich prodcut, justifying the price differentiation between the two major iPhone offerings.
iPhone 5S Specs & Features
- A7 chip, 64 bit, which is apparently 2x the speed of iPhone 5
- M7 motion processor that can continuously measure motion and movement, with an accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass
- Battery life the same as iPhone 5, up to 10 hours of use and 250 hours of standby
- Improved camera with f/2.2 aperture and a larger sensor
- Dual LED flash for improving color temperature and tones (does anyone use their cameras flash?)
- Burst mode allows you to take 10 quick frames per second
- Slow motion camera supports up to 120 FPS
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor built into the home button offered as a passcode alternative to unlock the device and make iTunes and App Store purchases – fingerprint data encrypted and locked onto device, never stored in iCloud or accessible to software
- Ships with iOS 7 preinstalled (public release date for iOS 7 is September 18)
iPhone 5S Contract Pricing
Pricing for the iPhone 5S is in line with prior iPhone models, and depends on the subsidy offered by a two year contracts
- 16GB – $199
- 32Gb – $299
- 64GB – $399
iPhone 5S Unlocked Contract-Free Pricing
As usual, purchasing a contract free iPhone comes at a premium without a carrier subsidy:
- 16GB – $649
- 32Gb – $749
- 64GB – $849
iPhone 5S Release Date: September 20
Somewhat unusual and unlike the iPhone 5C, the iPhone 5S does not appear to have pre-orders available, instead it will be offered general availability on September 20.